World YWCA She Speaks is an engagement platform that features contributions from young women and girls who are driving social change and transforming power structures for gender equality. Young activists share stories, opinions, ideas, videos, consultations, experiences and insights, to inspire one another and raise their voices on the issues that affect them.
World YWCA at-a-glance
- Founded in 1855, the World Young Women’s Christian Association (World YWCA) is one of the oldest international women’s organisations in the world.
- We are a volunteer-based movement, which has been at the forefront of progressing women’s rights for more than 160 years.
- We are committed to girls, young women and women’s full and equal participation in society, using a human rights and young women’s engagement approach.
- We support the action of millions of young women worldwide for gender equality and social change.
- We promote an intergenerational approach and shared and transformative leadership.
- We are rich in diversity, and our members and supporters include women from many different faiths, ages, backgrounds, beliefs and cultures. Yet we are all working toward the same common goal that “by 2035, 100 million young women and girls will transform power structures to create justice, gender equality and a world without violence and war; leading a sustainable YWCA movement, inclusive of all women.”
Our priorities include:
- Strengthening young women and girls’ transformative leadership;
- Realising human rights; and
- Sustaining the YWCA movement.
Our work is guided by a human rights framework, as well as the Sustainable Development Goals, international treaties and platforms for advancing women’s rights. We also collaborate with many partner organizations globally.
Our key actions:
Mobilise young women and nurture young women leaders.
Influence laws, policies and institutions on young women’s representation and participation.
Facilitate and support the participation of young women in regional and global policy and decision-making platforms.
Develop leadership tools and models for young women worldwide.
Knowledge sharing and building young women’s capacity to drive change.
Promoting intergenerational and transformative leadership and advocacy at local, national, regional and global levels.
Create safe spaces for young women.